Test Your Savvy on … Oral Cancer
Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear below.
1. Your dentist can check you for oral cancer.
2. A lump or thick area in your cheek is a potential sign of oral cancer.
3. Smoking helps prevent oral cancer.
4. Eating a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, beans, and poultry can help reduce your risk for oral cancer.
1. True. Dentists use a quick and painless exam to evaluate you for this disease.
2. True. Other signs of oral cancer include bad breath, numbness in your tongue or mouth, and a lump or mass in your neck. There are other symptoms, too. Ask your dentist to discuss them with you.
3. False. Smoking can cause oral cancer. Quit if you smoke or don’t start. Avoid heavy drinking, too.
4. True. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat and using sunscreen and lip balm with a SPF of 30 or above to protect your face and lips from the sun also help prevent the disease.